Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Six Years Today

Perhaps September 11, 2001 is like our generation's JFK assassination. "Where were you when the towers were hi,?" New Yorkers sometimes ask each other. Of course I remember exactly where I was when I heard, exactly what I thought, exactly what I did afterwards. Now it has been six years.

As I watched a couple hours of the name reading today, my heart went out to the thousands of families of the victims. Some of them seemed as pained as ever. Of course, I know what it is like to lose someone to a senseless tragedy. On a day like today, Hannah is such a part of my thoughts that I almost don't feel alone. Her death, her absence are weights I wear as I wade through the day. Gray skies reinforce the sobriety of the day.

As I'm sure the September 11th families feel of their lost ones, every new experience is a question for me - what would Hannah have thought about this? What would she have said? When I see a movie, I wish I could call her up to discuss it. When I'm excited, my first thought is still to call her to share. When I have a few extra minutes on the upper west side, my reflex is still to ask her if she wants to meet me at the Starbucks on 93rd Street. I don't cry every day anymore, but on some level I think I will never completely accept or understand that Hannah is gone. It doesn't seem possible, it doesn't seem right and it doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

No comments: