Monday, June 11, 2007

Israel and the Palestinian Territories

This will probably end up being more than one post, but here's a primer.

I had been craving a trip to Israel for a couple years. I had been there twice before - once in 1994, once in 2000. So I was overdue. I wanted the spiritual connection, the Jewish learning, the adventure. Coughing up the money was a challenge. But I really wanted to get there.

Joe forwarded me an email from his friend Eliyahu McLean, who was helping to organize a tour. But instead of doing touristy things like climbing Masade for sunrise and floating in the Dead Sea, the tour would visit peacemakers - Israelis and Palestinians who are working toward solutions to the seemingly hopeless situation. I was so excited. My Idealist nature took over, and before I knew it, I was booking a flight.

I had some reservations. Would I get along with the people on my trip? Would I have an authentic experience? Would Joe and I kill each other?

The trip was amazing. I met with so many different groups and individuals, learned about some revolutionary projects, and had my eyes opened to a difficult reality.

I have a few take-home thoughts:

Israel cannot continue with the current policies of harrassment, house demolition, checkpoints, curfews and settlement expansion. One, because it is contrary to our belief in the equality of all human beings and the role of Jews to be "or l'goyim" - a light to the nations. But perhaps more importantly and persuasively for those pragmatists out there, because it isn't working - things are getting worse. Palestinians are getting angrier. Palestinian nationalism is increasing. If we want to protect ourselves, we will find a way to work together instead of building walls.

I'm not sure a democratic state can exist if we want to be a Jewish state. But I struggle with my deeply rooted fear that no matter how hard we try, we will never be accepted or safe, and in that sense we must continue to protect ourselves by some form of "segregation" - the continued prioritization of Jews in Israel. It is impossible to ignore the Holocaust.

We may have to give some things up to get what we want. We should be realistic about that.

Joe and I did not kill each other.

No comments: